11.22.2008

Take a peek into the "Cabinet of Dr. Caligari"

This was a really exciting German expressionist film that I viewed in class. I have to say, I was thoroughly creeped out by the murderous somnambulist and the psychotic doctor, but that’s mostly because I have a low tolerance for scary movies. This movie is full of crazy shot compositions and close-ups that demand your attention. The twist that awaits the audience in the end is completely unexpected.

Despite being creeped out, I thought the background for this entire film was interesting and at times, the characters blended in with the background. This was my first glimpse into German expressionism and gee, what a glimpse. Intense angles within the frame and dramatic acting all added to this eerie experience. I highly recommend this film for anyone who’s looking for a creepily good time. Did I mention I was creeped out? Get in the cabinet.

Tracy Wang

No comments: