11.22.2008

Blogger's Remorse: Musings on Art and Narcissism

Oh, the narcissism. You will have to forgive me. My opinion of bloggers has been decidedly mixed: why would I care enough to read your personal excrement-receptacle for self-interested musings about your not-so-thrilling life? You will have to forgive me, again; I am being overly critical. And, ashamed as I might be, my hypocrisy is about to become self-evident. This whole entry, for lack of a better topic, is going to be about me. Not only am I loose-lipped when it comes to discussion of yours truly, but I think this post will partially elucidate why a student like me would dedicate so much unpaid time to an institution like the Berkeley Art Museum & Pacific Film Archive. (If this last sentence doesn’t make sense, check out bampfastudents.org to learn more about the BAM/PFA Student Committee.)

A while back, I had a few people over to my house to share a bottle or two of wine. We were having a perfectly pleasant time, discussing politics, school, Britney Spears, etc. etc. when a friend of a friend, who I knew only in passing, commented:

“I really like your shirt. Where’d you get it?”

“Thanks! I’m a member of the BAM/PFA Student Committee, and we had these shirts made to promote one of our programs.”

“Oh, you mean BAMN, that affirmative action group?”

“No, no, the Berkeley Art Museum/Pacific Film Archive.”

….

“Aw, you work at a museum—isn’t that cute? I thought for a minute that you were actually part of something that made a difference.”

It’s safe to say we were not fast friends. Several issues immediately arose. First: I really don’t like being called cute. You better be my boo if you’re gonna go there. Second: I whole-heartedly believe that I am making a difference by being a part of the BAM/PFA Student Committee. While I am not fighting to reinstate affirmative action, I am working with the hope that I can expose more people to the inspirational power of art. Art has been a transformative force in my life and, given the benefits I have reaped, the least I can do is spread the wealth around.

My irritation with this oh-so-tactful acquaintance soon subsided. In retrospect, I realized that this person was exactly who I try to reach through the Student Committee. Here was a man who clearly did not believe art was a vital part of life. Here was a living example of why I volunteer my time at a museum. If I could alter his perspective, even just slightly, then I would consider my efforts to be worthwhile. With this, I end my first blog entry. After reviewing it, I realize that I have transformed into one of those aforementioned bloggers for whom I have little tolerance. I hope you’ll forgive me.

Sam Blodgett

No comments: